× Study The Final Prophecy Online Study(Interactive) The Final Prophecy Workbook(pdf) 30 Week Series (Audio/Notes) Scripture Search RLDS-3 Books w/1908 LDS-KingJames & LDS BoM RCE Book of Mormon Advanced Multi Search Compare RCE/1908 List RCE/1908 Changes

Bibles Inspired Version King James

Book of Mormon Original Manuscript(RCE) RLDS 1908 LDS Spanish 1908 NEW! Hebrew Book of Mormon NEW! Hebrew/English Book of Mormon

Word Index RLDS-3 Scriptures using 1908 RCE Original Manuscript Book of Mormon SPANISH Words in Book of Mormon

Comparison Compare RCE/1908

Cross Reference RLDS to LDS Book of Mormon LDS to RLDS Book of Mormon

MultiLingual Book of Mormon Spanish/English Book of Mormon El Libro de Mormón en Español NEW! Hebrew Book of Mormon NEW! Hebrew/English Book of Mormon

History Church History Times and Seasons

Book of Mormon Truth Who is Jesus? The Prophecy of Jesus

EVIDENCE Ancient Ethiopian Document

PODCAST Restored Gospel Podcast!

Church History Search Results

Return to History Search Page

Click on the button to Select and Read Church History.

RLDS History Context Results


Read Previous Page / Next Page

Church History Vol. 4 Chapter 38 Page 657

(~1830)

657 CHAPTER 38.

1890.

JUNE 8, 1890, a chapel was dedicated at Kewanee, Illinois. Elders A. H. and W. J. Smith assisted the local authorities in the service.

On Saturday, June 14, President Joseph Smith and Bishop George A. Blakeslee visited Nauvoo, Illinois; and as it will be interesting to many readers of history to know the condition of the city, famous because of the history of the past, we here insert a description of the visit given by President Smith in the Herald for July 26:

That which first strikes the attention is the stillness, almost Sabbath-day silence, resting over the city. From the time the traveler reaches the shore on ferry-boat, city of Nauvoo, until he leaves, as he may, he is impressed with the air of restfulness and undisturbed repose which pervades everywhere.

Except for a single track traced like a thin gray ribbon along the streets near the center, the white clover and blue-grass grow a green sward from fence to fence, the sidewalks being especially smooth as if clipped by a lawn-mower. In all the lower part of the city, known as the flat, there is not a business house of any sort, except a small steam flouring-mill, which stands quite near the river at the foot of Bain Street.

(page 657)

Read Previous Page / Next Page